The Sandbox is an Ethereum-based metaverse where the players can create, own, and monetize their gaming experience using the native token SAND. Intuitive tools make it easy for players to build their own world and benefit from their creations.
A little history
Back in 2012, the first version of The Sandbox was created as a mobile game by game studio Pixowl and developer Onimatrix. As the technology progressed and Pixowl was acquired by Animoca, the team announced their intentions to create a 3D world based on the mobile game by leveraging blockchain technology. This new game would thrive based on user-generated content and token economics. In August 2020, the team launched the SAND token and now the Sandbox metaverse is active and full of players.
The game itself is powered by the native token SAND. SAND is used to facilitate transactions throughout the Sandbox metaverse and can be earned by playing games, completing quests, participating in contests, and more. The native token can also be staked in order to participate in governance of the Sandbox Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO). Primarily, SAND is used to purchase LANDS and ASSETS.
LANDS is a non-fungible token (NFT) that represents a digital plot of real estate within the Sandbox metaverse. In the game, there will only ever be 166,464 LANDS so players can purchase and sell as they wish.
ASSETS is also a non-fungible token (NFT) that represents items in the game such as people, animals, or any creation made by the players.
How to play
In order for players to truly customize their gaming experience, there are three products or tools that they can use. Voxel Editor is where players can create 3D objects such as animals, trees, tools, etc. These creations are referred to as ASSETS and can be sold in the Sandbox marketplace–a shop for players to buy and sell ASSETS using the native token SAND.
Lastly, the Game Maker is where players can put their own twist on the gaming experience. Using the tools provided in Game Maker, players can build 3D games on their LAND using their ASSETS. These games can be monetized and used as a way for other players to earn SAND.
Pop culture and the Sandbox
As many players continue to enjoy this gaming experience, the Sandbox team works hard to incorporate many pop culture elements in its universe. The Sandbox constantly seeks new and novel experiences for its players, recently partnering with Snoop Dogg, The Walking Dead, The Smurfs, and more. In addition to celebrity experiences, brands are joining the action, too. Gucci, Warner Music Group, and Adidas all own LAND within the metaverse where they can interact with players and create digital storefronts.
What's next for Sandbox
The more the Sandbox user base grows, the more expansive and lush its Metaverse will become. By putting the power in the hands of gamers, artists, brands and creators across the globe, new ideas are filtering in every day and the potential for creativity is limitless. What happens next is up to the network’s users, and we can’t wait to see what they create.
How to buy SAND on Voyager
1. Download the Voyager app: Available in Apple App Store and Google Play Store, visit and search Voyager or click here to download now.
2. Open a Voyager trading account: Fill in your personal information to create a trading account. As a licensed financial institution, know that your personal information is always safe with us.
3. Link your bank: Link your bank account by navigating to the User Icon on your Market Screen. On your account page, tap Bank Accounts and add your bank.
4. Fund your Voyager account: To deposit USD, go to your account page and tap Transfer Cash or Crypto, then Deposit to Voyager Account and select USD. Next, enter the amount of USD you'd like to transfer and slide the Slide to Deposit USD banner. Now you can trade instantly.
5. Buy SAND: Navigate to the Market Screen scroll until you reach SAND and tap to access the Sandbox page, then tap Buy SAND. Insert the amount of USD you'd like to spend and slide the Slide to Buy SAND purple banner to complete your purchase.